Tuesday 20 September 2011

Where for art thou Romeo...

I wasn’t going to blog today as I didn’t think I had anything to talk about, but now I do, I TOTALLY DO.

I was just sitting upstairs binding some documents and minding my own business when I thought to myself “why don’t men smell nice anymore?” – An old guy who works in the post room called Bruce walked past me and I smelt his aftershave (which for an old bloke was actually really nice)  and realised I can’t remember the last time I walked past a man and thought “mmm you smell nice”.  Pondering on this while I shut my finger in the binding machine led to a lot of swearing and the realisation that the last 9 months of me being single has totally proved that romance is officially DEAD.

I can’t remember the last time a man did something nice for me.  The only example I have seen of a man treating ANYONE well within the last year was actually my friends boyfriend sending her some flowers at work today, because this time 3 years ago was when they first met – IT’S NOT EVEN THEIR ANNIVERSARY, it’s when they first met.  How does he even remember that?  This post was reserved for moaning, but this little paragraph is dedicated to Chris and the fact he singlehandedly has given me the smallest bit of hope that there are stupidly romantic and soppy men out there, I just need to buy a net and actually harass one until they marry me when I find him.  (Don’t worry Faye, Chris is all yours). 

I can’t remember the last time I saw a boy really dress up nice and make an effort, wearing nice aftershave and clothes etc.  Now when we go out, boys are wearing trainers and polo shirts and drinking shots and sneering at everyone – this could be something to do with the fact I live in Essex, and all the boys there think they are the next best thing to David Beckham, but I suspect that boys just aren’t bought up like they used to be.  My granddad is a Gentleman, there is no other way to describe it.  He holds doors open for everyone and is nice and polite and sweet, and I am pretty sure he has been that way since he was young.  Now days you’re lucky if a boy says sorry if he stamps on your foot. 

Prime example, there is a boy that I text on and off.  I say on and off because 9 times out of 10 he only texts me after a night out when he wants to come and ‘meet me somewhere’ for obvious reasons.  Now he doesn’t have to send me flowers every day, but what happened to the days when a boy wanted to get in your pants so he’d take you out for dinner?  You don’t even get that anymore, you just get a text asking if you are up for it (which I can categorically say 99% of the time I am not – that 1% only makes me human).

Where are all the romantic, nice boys?  The boys that make the effort to look and smell nice, and are nice to you when you see them – the ones that genuinely want to talk to you, and it’s not just because they want to sleep with you, it’s because they like talking to you.  Where are the boys that want to look after you, even if you are just their friends? 

IF YOU KNOW OF ANY SEND THEM MY WAY.  I’ve just ordered a stun gun off Amazon and i’m not afraid to use it.

2 comments:

  1. I will make rice cripsy cakes for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have you know that I'm quite the gentleman Miss Morshy! Always polite and courteous, hold open doors, apologise when necessary, do daft romantic things on special occasions (when I'm not single). I also tend to make an effort on the right occasions, and am often complimented on the smell of my cologne/deodorant.

    I think it must be a Darn Sarf thing as everyone here Up North still contains at least a smidgeon of chivalry about their person.

    What I'm trying to say is "we're nicer people up here, so get moving!" :D

    ReplyDelete