Wednesday 7 March 2012

Kony 2012

I'm not normally the sort of person that will fall for sob stories and charity requests, as harsh as that sounds.  I don't sponsor an animal or donate to Oxfam, give money to the homeless or do a 'good deed' every day.

Today I got sent a video by one of my work colleagues, entitled 'Kony 2012' - I had noticed a few people talking about it on Twitter but couldn't really work out what it was about.  I opened the video and watched the first 3 minutes at work, until I noticed it was 27 minutes long and turned it off again.

For the next hour, while writing reports and doing my normal day to day duties at work, I couldn't stop thinking about the video.  I don't know why, but the first 3 minutes just seemed really good, and as it was difficult to find out what the video was actually about I was intrigued.  I waited for my lunch break, got some food and sat down to continue watching.

I've just finished watching it.  The reason there are no explanations online as to the content of this video is because it's unexplainable in a tweet.  The people that have made the video would have made it as short as possible, and it's still 27 minutes long.  If you watch, you'll know that every single scene, every comment, every brief insight into a persons life contained in this film is relevant.  I'll let the video do the talking, as it's brilliant.

If you want to change the world, if you want to be moved, if you want to make a stand for something important but hideously disregarded... just take 27 minutes out of your day to watch this... I know it's the first cause in a while that's made me stop and think about something for longer than an advert break. 


*UPDATE*

I have just been sent this from one of my Twitter followers in response to my above blog post .  As much as I thought this video was brilliant, informative and genuinely moving (it gave me the kick up the ass to want to do something) I am all for fairness and knowing every side of the story.  Bearing this in mind, if you have watched the video then take the time to read this blog entry and see if you agree.  It's easy to get wrapped up in the cause in the above video, as I stated before I know I did.  This just sheds a bit of light on MORE of the full picture.  Ultimately, the end goal is the same...



No comments:

Post a Comment