Last night I left work early to go to the doctors and decided to listen to a bit of Arcade Fire on the train. If you are reading this because you follow me on Twitter then you will know how OBSESSED I am with Arcade Fire anyway, but lately I haven’t really been listening to them and have got back into Jay-Z and Kayne (thanks to the brilliant Watch the Throne). Anyway, I whacked on Funeral by Arcade Fire and was literally astounded by how amazing it was... it kind of felt like I was listening to it for the first time all over again.
I have loads of favourite songs, I don’t know if I could ever pick just one. I have a few that stick in my mind recently but I chop and change frequently as new music comes out and I rediscover old music. I honestly don’t know how I would be able to live without music in my life!
As you can see below it’s a bit of a weird mixture, but then my iPod literally has everything. One Direction to Marlyin Manson, Jay-Z to Les Fleurs... my iPod is probably full of the most random mixture of music known to man. I love talking to people about music and hearing what their favourite song is and why, or what memories albums hold for them etc... I suppose that’s just me being nosy haha! I’ve listed my Top 10 songs at the moment and why they are my favourites:
- Jay-Z & Kayne West – Niggas in Paris – As i’ve just got back from Vegas this is top of my playlist at the moment. We heard it quite a lot over there and just as we went I was obsessed with Watch the Throne so put the album on at every opportunity in the room. This resulted in all 4 of us spending the entire holiday walking round singing it, and I mean literally THE ENTIRE HOLIDAY!
- Drake – The Motto – As boring as it is, this is the same reason. Heard it lots in Vegas, another song for the room. Also a lot of saying “YOLO” and every available opportunity, even though we all think it’s the most ridiculous saying ever!
- Bombay Bicycle Club – Always Like This - This song is an old love and reminds me of summer and festivals and cider – 3 of my favourite things! As the weather has been beautiful lately I like listening to my ‘summer songs’ on the train and this is one of my favourites – It literally sounds like they made it just to play it at a festival.
- Red Hot Chili Peppers – Snow ((Hey Oh)) – Obviously an old song, but one of my favourites from RHCP. Most of their songs are mental and loud and upbeat, but I like that this is a bit more relaxed and laid back... another favourite to listen to while laying around in the sunshine. I’m going to see RHCP at the end of June too, so this is getting me prematurely excited for that – and premature excitement isn’t normally a good thing.
- Will Smith – Wild Wild West – I thought about this song for the first time in YEARS the other day. I instantly downloaded it and was slightly concerned to realise I still know every single one of the words! Since I downloaded it I have been busting it out in my car while on the motorway to get to the girls – Literally if I am not listening to music, then this song has been stuck in my head for the past week just on loop, OVER AND OVER AGAIN. With classic lines like “any damsel that’s in distress, be outta that dress when she meets Jim West” how can anyone blame me?
- Santana feat Rob Thomas – Smooth – Vegas rediscovered this song for me. We were on our last day, sitting in the McDonalds in our hotel about an hour before we had to leave for the airport. We were packed, ready to go and totally depressed, then this song came over the speakers. Charlie and I were instantly like “I LOVE THIS SONG” and it cheered us up a bit singing along to this while stuffing our faces with big macs.
- 3LW – No More – thanks to Watch the Throne and various Vegas discussions, I decided to come back home and try and make the R&B playlist to end all playlists. I have already created The Best Playlist in the World Ever Part 1 which is full of the greatest rock and indie songs to ever have been created, and now I am working on the R&B version. This song was one I found while looking through YouTube and I used to LOVE it when I was in school! Especially the cringey rap bit in the middle.
- Justice – Phantom Pt 2 – An AWESOME song to pick you up in the morning, I love house music anyway and this song just makes me want to go to Ibiza pronto! Awesome to blare out loud in your car while the sun is out, although when you have a Peugeot 207 and one of the speakers is a bit crackly you just end up looking like a tool.
- Beyonce – Countdown – I don’t even know why I love this song, I just do. It’s not very ‘Beyonce’, I had been hearing this in clubs for weeks before I ever realised it was her. Just one of those songs that you shouldn’t like but you really do, and it manages to put a smile on your face whenever you hear it – better than walking around snapping your fingers and glaring at men while singing “Run the World” anyway..
- Solu Music – Fade – Last one in my playlist, and this is probably my most favourite chill out house track of all time. Reminds me of the first time I went to Ibiza all those years ago (8 years ago!! EIGHT!) and I love it now as much as I did the first time I heard it. No matter where I am, if I listen to this song and close my eyes I can almost pretend I am on a sunlounger on the beach – until some fat prick stands on my foot on the underground anyway...
What are your favourite songs at the moment and why? I love hearing about other people’s choices and the meaning behind them, shows you an insight into what they are really like and how they think J